Monday, June 11, 2012

happy Un-breakfast

"The first meal of the day is the most important."  In my book typically the most un-enjoyable as well.  I am not a breakfast eater.  I simply do not enjoy breakfast foods.  Much to my husbands disappointment, cold pizza or spaghetti for breakfast will make my eyes light up with delight....not pancakes or waffles.  The idea of going somewhere on purpose to eat breakfast food kinda makes my nose crinkle and my eyes roll.  Bleh.

BUT in this new "plant strong" lifestyle (it's not a "diet", those are temporary) breakfast IS important so I can keep going.  I need those calories, at the very least, so my guts don't start to wrestle and see who gets to be the cannibal before lunch.  As usual, I turned to Pinterest.  Faithful friend and resource for all things easy to find and neatly categorized.  And I found this awesome gem: Banana-Maple Oatmeal Cookies and made a few changes.

I went straight for the ground flaxseed in 2 tbsp of water for the egg replacement (ground fresh in a coffee grinder we use to grind spices) though I've not seen it "thicken" for me.

  • old fashioned oats because it's what I have.
  • Organic whole wheat flour - not "white" whole wheat, something in the process of that kind of flour gives me that drunk reaction so I know that something is done there that isn't "natural".
  • Instead of raisins I used either finely chopped prunes or dates.  In the last batch I made I doubled the recipe and used a 1/4 cup of each.
  • Walnuts.  Like a whole cup of them broken up in to pieces.  This made them a million times yummy.  
 The assemblage. 

100% maple syrup....yum.
 Chopped dates/prunes into a fine mush.
Breakfast is served.

I plan on doing a little more playing around with this recipe and seeing what I can do with it.  I keep mine in the fridge because this is a really moist cookie and in the summer heat it will spoil faster.  This is SO easy and so fast.  I didn't use a mixer or anything.  Just that wooden spoon and then two metal spoons for scooping onto the parchment.   


Here's my version of this recipe so you don't have to jump back and forth.

Maple Nut Oatmeal Banana Cookies.
Makes roughly 18 cookies.
Refrigerate.

  • 2tsp ground flaxseed mixed with 2tbsp water
  • 1 cup oats (old fashioned or whatever you have)
  • 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped dates or prunes (pitted)
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla
  • 1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup
  • 1 banana (thinly sliced or mashed)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 to 1 cup walnuts (or pic your favorite!)
Preheat oven to 375

Combine your ground flax and water first and set aside.  It's supposed to thicken a bit but so far I haven't seen this....I may be doing something wrong but it works out fine anyway.
Throw everything in a bowl, adding the nuts after stirring until things are well incorporated.  Adding the nuts last makes it easier to stir, toss those in and stir until they are evenly distributed.
Scoop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and flatten them out a bit.  
Bake 8-12 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottom.

Easy peasy! Sweet, chewy, crunchy and filling!  LOVE them!

Blessings on your Monday for a beautiful beginning to a productive, wonderful week!
the Mrs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your visit and comment. I appreciate the time and thought you've taken to leave your mark on this page.

May God bless your day!

{Any commercial links will be deleted.}