Thursday, April 19, 2012

beginning the great purge of 2012

Storage tubs are set out upstairs and down.  I've begun.

Funny thing is, I am seeing my perspective change.  Things I've kept because they were someone else's....but don't hold a true purpose...don't hold meaning anymore.  Now, they are space invaders.  I also found my first "didn't remember I had that" treasure.  A pretty set of antique silver in a silverware chest that I'd thought was empty.  I'm guessing they have been in that box for 10 years.  It was a set of my grandmothers that my mother gave me when I came to help her purge her own home....she died a few short months later.

Since making the decision that this will be our forever home, I've got lots of things I want to do.  Not many are very big but would make a big impact.  As I drive past "for sale" signs on some of my favorite roads, that familiar thought to look up the property when I get home hits....but it's followed with a "why?"  I have had to remind myself I'm not going to move.  Then I laugh. 


"Temporary" seems to be the way people live now.  We live in homes "for now" until we find one that is bigger and "better".  We purchase things in disposable containers, we buy things because they are temporary and we won't have to do anything with them later.  Cars aren't driven until they die, only until the cool factor does.  Clothes are not worn until they are no longer useful but until they are out of style.  Everything is temporary.  Our appliances are built to be replaced, so are our cars and clothes, dishes and furniture.  The sole purpose of the things that are produced now is to fail after a short time so they can be purchased again.

It's disturbing.

I began to realize just how that had gotten into my head.  That I'd never thought of anywhere we'd lived....I'd lived....as a permanent residence.  It didn't occur to me that I wouldn't move again.  There were things I did and didn't do with our home because of that very fact.  There is resale to consider and why put in extra work on something if you won't be the benefactor?   I'm seeing it all very different now.  It feels different.  Maybe because this is my workplace and my home.  Perhaps it's a stage in life, a marker that each of us hits at some point and it isn't at all unique to my experience.

Whatever it is, I like it.  Home seems to have a bit of a different ring to it.

Blessings to you for new joy in the old stuff,
the Mrs.

It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your visit and comment. I appreciate the time and thought you've taken to leave your mark on this page.

May God bless your day!

{Any commercial links will be deleted.}